Author Topic: Dates in English  (Read 5846 times)

SS.

• Veteran
Dates in English
« on: 07 January 2010, 21:48:06 »
Just heard on BBC6, Marc Riley said: "That was the first on-line show in two thousand ten or, I don't know, twenty-ten".
He - a native speaker (!!!) - doesn't know!  ;D

SS.

• Veteran
Re: Dates in English
« Reply #1 on: 08 January 2010, 16:01:43 »
They also said on New Year's Eve "Good-bye Noughties! Hello Twenty-Teens!"

As for "noughties", it's been already registered in Collins English Dictionary as "pl n (Informal) the decade from 2000 to 2009".

about to succeed

• Novice
« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2010, 00:52:11 »
Just heard on BBC6, Marc Riley said: "That was the first on-line show in two thousand ten or, I don't know, twenty-ten".
He - a native speaker (!!!) - doesn't know! .

That expression, I'm sure, wasn't used in it's direct meaning. It was used in the meaning of "in other words" or "as they call it". We have the same example with "I don't know" in Russian. Same translation - same meaning, when being used to enumerate similar things, synonyms or words which have relative meaning.
« Last Edit: 09 January 2010, 01:10:12 by about to succeed »
It's how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success.

SS.

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 01 November 2017, 06:02:36 »
As for "noughties", it's been already registered in Collins English Dictionary as "pl n (Informal) the decade from 2000 to 2009".

a synonym: "aughts"
The actress Daryl Hannah told me this week about two incidents that occurred, during the early aughts,..
(Weighing the Costs of Speaking Out About Harvey Weinstein. The New Yorker, October 27, 2017)"