Author Topic: Conference translation  (Read 4688 times)

SS.

• Veteran
Conference translation
« on: 05 August 2010, 19:06:06 »
They also call it "simultainious translation", but since I'm writing this post from the conference I prefer this very term. :)

Sometimes interpreters forget to turn off their mike in the cabin and people in the confence room can here their private talks. The whole situation is a fun - serious people listen to serious speeches, then hear someting absolutetly informal.

Today an interpreter asked her collegue "How is your lipstick? Mine has gone completely!"  ;D ;D

Quite a problem for a lady who sits in a cabin with another female interpreter. :)

about to succeed

• Novice
Re: Conference translation
« Reply #1 on: 06 August 2010, 12:26:25 »
Hopefully they weren't commenting on smth else, like private life or smth. That would be way more interesting for others to hear, I guess :D
It's how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success.

SS.

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 06 August 2010, 19:57:53 »
Saw another unacceptabe thing - Finnish interpreter works without partner all day long. It's not that I don't believe this is possibile, the thing is that I'm sure it's bad for professional standards.

SS.

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: 08 August 2010, 23:36:42 »
And it appeared to be bad not only for professional standards, but for the interpreter himself. After the lunch it was absolutely clear, that he was really tired. Poor guy.

Greek-Eng-Rus-Ukr

• Bypasser
« Reply #4 on: 03 April 2011, 00:20:28 »
Very common "mistake" of a client is when he\she forgets the interpreter exists and does NOT stop even after 3 sentences!