Author Topic: Which one to pick?  (Read 12109 times)

about to succeed

• Novice
Which one to pick?
« on: 06 November 2009, 16:48:09 »
I'm talking about certain specializations of translation. There are a lot of ways to enter a written translation market, which is why it's crucially important to decide now, while a beginner, and it really does matter.
I used to deal with medicine (it had something to do with kidneys and their functions) and I liked it a lot beacause it was rather interesting than boring, even though it was a volunteer work. But there's no need to limit oneself by having only one way to go. Do you think economics will do? What are the most popular ones and which ones are the most profitable as for the future?
It's how you deal with failure that determines how you achieve success.

Supreme Power

• Administrator
  • User
Re: Which one to pick?
« Reply #1 on: 07 November 2009, 19:56:56 »
As for me, I'm not a prophet :) though I think economics will do.
Anyway, the best thing for a novice is to try himself in as many fields as it is possible. This would later help to work in any sphere. IMHO.

SS.

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: 07 November 2009, 20:21:19 »
What are the most popular ones and which ones are the most profitable as for the future?
Nowadays electronics also looks like promising. Though who knows what they invent tomorrow - but medicine will be important forever.

about to succeed

• Novice
« Reply #3 on: 09 November 2009, 20:50:40 »
Last time when doing test translation I picked geology. It was way more interesting than medicine for me personally and there were no troubles in understanding and translating itself, though I'm still working on other fields of translation.

about to succeed

• Novice
« Reply #4 on: 14 December 2009, 01:07:03 »
I was working on Gas & Oil few days ago. It was quite interesting I must admit, even though it took quite a lot of time. Every word was a new one for me, and I'm very curious about what their answer will be. Anyway, I don't feel any regrets about doing that translation =)

SS.

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: 14 December 2009, 13:30:51 »
any regrets about doing that translation =)
And only positive emotions when being paid for it  ;)
« Last Edit: 14 December 2009, 16:03:52 by SS. »

about to succeed

• Novice
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2010, 02:02:41 »
Speaking of that test translation I did ... They chose another one man to work for them. Didn't explain any reasons of their refusal. I think they didn't like my piece of work much.

SS.

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: 09 January 2010, 10:30:30 »
They seldom explain their NOs. Though you can ask them politely.  :)
"Would you be so kind to tell me what were the worst things in my test translation that prevented you from choosing me".
Smth like this.

NataKl

• Bypasser
« Reply #8 on: 04 November 2013, 22:50:36 »
In my opinion, medical translation is a kind of the most responsible one. Sometimes person's life can depend on the transaltion you've made. And of course it requires certain knowledge of medicine.
As for me, the most popular is legal translation.    8)

NataliYa

• Bypasser
« Reply #9 on: 10 November 2013, 19:20:42 »
Of course, medical translation is more responsible, because translator should know medical terminology. Translator should understant the diagnosis, becouse there are some situations when translator translates * and it is necessary for him to know everything about client's health. Legal translation is more popular, but it is responsible too, because when interpreter translate something he should know how to render the text, especially if we speak about law courts.